A Guide to Sending Digital Gift Cards on Amazon, Venmo, and Cash App
If you find yourself in a bind during the holidays or want to avoid shipping hassles, don't worry. Sending a digital gift card is a convenient solution. While popular money transfer services allow you to send cash, it may lack a personal touch. Fortunately, you can use these platforms to send digital gift cards to well-known vendors like Starbucks, Lululemon, and Nordstrom. According to a survey by Bank of America and The Strawhecker Group, digital gift cards account for 40% of all gift card purchases, with the top reason being to provide recipients with more choice.
Personally, I found electronic gift cards to be a lifesaver when I wanted to send a birthday gift to a friend in another state. Instead of sending $20 in cash via Venmo, I opted to send a $20 Chipotle gift card through the app. While the difference may seem insignificant, it felt more personal to me. If you share the same sentiment, here's a step-by-step guide on sending a digital gift card using your iPhone's mobile apps.
Choosing the Right Service
Before diving into the process, consider these pro tips to help you decide which service to use:
- Amazon and Cash App offer a wider selection of stores compared to Venmo.
- Amazon is the only platform that allows you to schedule gift card delivery for a later date.
- Cash App allows you to send lower dollar amounts, offering flexibility for testing purposes.
- Venmo boasts the most creative and festive card delivery features.
- All three services are equally user-friendly for recipients, so choose the method based on the recipient's preference.
Sending a Digital Gift Card on Amazon
1. Open the Amazon app on your phone.
2. Tap the three bars in the bottom right corner and select "Gifting & Registry," then "Gift Cards."
3. Choose between Amazon gift cards or gift cards to other stores.
4. Select "specialty gift cards."
5. Scroll down to find the options for eGift cards and physical gift cards.
6. Choose the "eGift Cards" option.
7. Pick the vendor and select the desired amount.
8. Customize the card design and enter the recipient's email or phone number.
9. Add your message or select the default message.
10. Double-check the quantity and choose the date for card delivery.
11. Press "Buy Now" and proceed with payment and address details.
12. Click "Place your order" to finalize the purchase.
Sending a Digital Gift Card on Venmo or Cash App
1. Open the Venmo or Cash App on your phone.
2. Select the recipient and enter the dollar amount for the gift card.
3. Write your message and press "Gift" or the equivalent option.
4. Choose from the available gift card options.
5. Personalize how the recipient receives the gift card, mimicking the experience of opening a physical card.
6. Select the card that best suits your purpose and preview it before finalizing.
7. Press "Continue" and then "Next."
8. If you're ready to send, click "Purchase gift card" or the equivalent option.
9. Choose the dollar amount and press "Pay."
10. Select "Gift Card" and choose the vendor.
11. Enter the recipient's details in the "To" bar and write your message in the "For" bar.
12. Press "Next" and then "Send Gift Card" to complete the process.
By following these steps, you can easily send digital gift cards to your loved ones, ensuring a thoughtful and convenient gifting experience.
Implications of Digital Gift Cards on New Business Formation
The rise of digital gift cards, as highlighted in the step-by-step guide to sending these via Amazon, Venmo, and Cash App, presents an interesting landscape for new businesses. The shift towards digital gifting, accounting for 40% of all gift card purchases, offers a unique opportunity for startups to tap into this growing market.
Personalization and Convenience
The preference for digital gift cards is driven by the desire to provide recipients with more choice. This trend suggests that new businesses should focus on personalization and convenience in their offerings. The story of opting to send a Chipotle gift card instead of cash via Venmo underlines the importance of personal touch in digital transactions.
Choosing the Right Platform
The choice of platform for sending digital gift cards can also impact new businesses. Amazon, Cash App, and Venmo each have their unique features, from a wider selection of stores to creative delivery features. Startups need to consider these factors when deciding on their digital gift card strategy.
Impact on Business Models
The rise of digital gift cards could also influence business models. The ability to send lower dollar amounts, as offered by Cash App, could encourage micro-gifting, opening up new possibilities for businesses.
In essence, the growing popularity of digital gift cards presents both challenges and opportunities for new businesses. By understanding consumer preferences and leveraging the features of different platforms, startups can position themselves to take advantage of this trend. The key is to offer a personalized, convenient, and flexible gifting experience.